Haemovigilance (HV) comprises surveillance procedures covering the whole transfusion chain from collection of blood (components) to follow-up of its recipients. It assesses information on undesirable transfusion effects to prevent their occurrence. This includes local venepuncture accidents, iron depletion, graft vs. host disease and mild to severe transfusion reactions. The HV definitions aim to standardize and report all these events in order to improve blood safety.
The WP focuses on both recipients and donors. We develop definitions and tools and share and compare data. We regularly discuss updates on international activities and work on definitions and tools. We collaborate with HV organisations across the world.
Our Chairperson is Kevin Land.
We meet at the ISBT congresses and develop HV definitions and tools. We also participate in international projects and have regular discussions with other Working Parties.
Any professional who is actively involved in HV at any level is able to join this WP. Pharmaceutical company employees are able to join only if they contribute from a technical and scientific point of view, are transparent about their affiliation and do not promote any products.
Interested in joining the Haemovigilance WP? Please email our Chairperson.
Some of the content is only accessible for ISBT-members. To join us, click here.
Follow this link to visit the ISBT Academy ePortal and watch the webcast of Gwen Clarke. The talk was recorded at the 34th International Congress of the ISBT in Dubai.
- The International Haemovigilance Network Database for the Surveillance of Adverse Reactions and Events in Donors and Recipients of Blood Components: technical issues and results Vox Sanguinis 2016 Nov; 111 (4): 409–417.
- Development of standard definitions for surveillance of complications related to blood donation. Vox Sang. 2015 Sept;110(2):185-8
- International survey on definitions and current practices in prevention, diagnosis, management and reporting of transfusion‐transmitted bacterial infections ISBT Science Series 2015 June, 10, 31–40, doi.org/10.1111/voxs.12176
- Donor vigilance: a global update ISBT Science Series 2014 July, 9, 228–233, doi.org/10.1111/voxs.12090
- Haemovigilance: concepts and frameworks ISBT Science Series 2014 July, 9, 86–90, doi.org/10.1111/voxs.12105
- Definitions in haemovigilance: guiding principles and current state of development of international reference definitions ISBT Science Series 2014 July 9, 91–97, doi.org/10.1111/voxs.12091
- Donor vigilance: progress and challenges ISBT Science Series 2012 June, 7: 251–255, doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-2824.2012.01588.x