The I TRY IT 2023 programme is an initiative of the ISBT Academy and is led by members of the Transfusion-Transmitted Infectious Disease (TTID), Clinical Transfusion (CT) and Red cell immunohaematology Working Parties (WP).
There are 4 main objectives for the I TRY IT programme:
- To complete a research protocol for a study designed to be conducted in your country or where your work.
- To learn the components of research protocols/propos- als and specific study designs used in transfusion medicine.
- To learn how to provide and to receive constructive criticism of scientific research
- To help you plan for and conduct the research project you designed as part of the programme, and approaches for analyzing the data to answer your research question.
The most challenging part is conducting the study and analyzing the data. However, these are easier if you begin with a solid foundation - the research protocol is that foundation.
There are many ‘bright ideas’ or research discoveries in the field of transfusion medicine that are waiting for young investigators.
The 2023 programme is now closed for applications.
Deadline to apply was January 27, 2023.
About the programme
I TRY IT is a two-part programme:
- Part 1 Training in Study Design and Protocol Development
- Part 2 Training in Analysing Data and Manuscript Preparation
The two parts of the programme are offered in different years. The focus of the programme in 2023 will be Study Design and Protocol Development which teaches participants how to write research protocols while developing a research project that will answer a specific research question.
Online live lectures:
Participants and instructors are located all over the world. The preferred approach is for you to participate during the live lectures online. Alternately, each lecture will become available to be downloaded via the I TRY IT group are of the ISBT website so that you can access the content at times that works best for you or if your internet connection speed requires you to download the material.
Attending the live lectures is the most certain way for you to learn the content and be able to ask questions to improve your depth of knowledge. We will be using Zoom™ for course lectures.
To participate, you will be invited to each online lecture and then will have to join the lecture via the URL provided in each invitation. Lecture recordings will be posted on ISBT Education. Each of you will have a specific login and password to access the content.
Homework is assigned that is focused on writing the sections of a research protocol. As part of the programme you will write a real research protocol that can be implemented in your setting. You will also be involved in reviewing project proposals by others to experience peer-review as both a reviewer and reviewee.
In addition, you are expected to attend the Transfusion-Transmitted Infectious Disease (TTID) or Clinical Transfusion (CP) Working Party meetings as part of your training experience.
To facilitate conducting research, the Study Design and Protocol Development programme concludes with the opportunity for you to apply for a small research grant to conduct your study.
These research grants are competitive and awarded to the best protocols as judged by expert reviewers from the ISBT Working Parties.
Applicants and Application
Deadlines for applications will be given in a separate timetable for each year, published on the ISBT website.
Submit your application before January 27, 2023.
To apply, please provide the following:
1. A current version of your curriculum vitae (CV) or resume. (list any scientific publications)
2. A preliminary research idea or research question description. This must not exceed a one-sided single page, describing the transfusion related study you would like to conduct.
Two of the lectures will be given face to face at the 33rd Regional Congress of the ISBT in Gothenburg, Sweden (June 17-21, 2023).
Registration for this ISBT Congress is provided for the participants. Travel and accommodation expenses to attend this ISBT Congress will also be covered.
ISBT Central Office will work with you to arrange international travel. You are responsible for securing any required travel documents such as passports or visas. ISBT will assist you by providing letters of invitation, but you will have to apply and pay applicable fees yourself.
You must become a member of ISBT. ISBT membership fees are not covered by the I TRY IT programme.
Click this button for more information on ISBT membership.
Designing Clinical Research, 4th Edition, 2013
By Stephen B Hulley, Steven R Cummings, Warren S Browner, Deborah G Grady, Thomas B Newman.
We will provide copies of this book to you.
Additional online reference material that accompanies the text book is available at:
We gratefully acknowledge Dr. Steven Hulley of UCSF who developed the original UCSF Training in Clinical Research (TICR) course from which the I TRY IT programme has been adapted.
We also gratefully acknowledge Dr. Edward Murphy of UCSF/ BSRI who developed the short-course format and Dr. Willi Mc-Farland from the San Francisco Department of Public Health/UCSF, each has led multiple versions of courses similar to this in many different countries.
Without these predecessors this initiative would not have been possible.
The lectures will start in March 2023. The webinars will cover the following content. Note that all times below are Coordinated Universal Time. You will need to convert this to your local time.
- Brian Custer: Conceiving the research question and study hypothesis, March 15, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Arwa AL Riyami: 1. Background and significance section, 2: Literature search and references, March 29, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Marion Vermeulen: Basics of Measurement: Variable Types, Precision and Accuracy, April 19, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Leo van de Watering: Estimating Sample Size & Power, May 3, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Leo van de Watering: Data validity, cause and effect, issues of bias/confounding, May 24, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Karin van den Berg: Study Design Part 1- Overview of study designs: Observational & Randomized designs, June 2023 at ISBT Gothenburg
- Marion Vermeulen: Study Design Part 2 - Designing studies of medical tests, including sensitivity and specificity, Large data bases & “Big Data”, June 2023 at ISBT Gothenburg
- Brian Custer: Review process & Who will review Who, June 2023 at ISBT Gothenburg
- Brian Custer: Data management, preparation for analysis & introduction to statistical analyses, July 4, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Lilian Castilho: Developing research questionnaires and data collection instruments, July 26, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- Karin van den Berg: Research ethics, budget (& Check: Who will review Who), August 9, 2023 at 15:00 UTC
- All: Review Meeting, September 6, 2023 time tbd
For more information and home work deadlines, please have a look at the I TRY IT 2023 Brochure.
I TRY IT Mentors
Recordings of the I TRY IT 2021 and 2022 Lectures
These recordings will only be available for I TRY IT Participants. If you are an I TRY IT participant, please make sure you are logged in to the website.