- We cover all the different aspects of cellular therapies
- We provide a platform for discussion, especially when related to transfusion and provide a resource for learning and the exchange of ideas
- We act as an expert group to advise ISBT on matters related to cell therapy
- We also represent ISBT on collaborative work with other international societies including AABB, ISCT, ICCBBA
- We are available to offer expert practical and scientific advice to ISBT members who may want to start stem cell processing and cell therapy programmes
Activities and projects
The workshop will be held on March 22-23, 2022 in Zurich and shall provide a forum for transfusion experts who manufacture the product, scientists who are investigating its therapeutic and cell culture potential to discuss the latest updates on the field, and also with the regulators on how to classify this blood derived product.
Manuscript on Workshop results
- Human platelet lysate current standards and future developments. Henschler R, Gabriel C, Schallmoser K, Burnouf T, Koh MBC.Transfusion. Transfusion, 2019 Apr;59(4):1407-1413. doi: 10.1111/trf.15174. Epub 2019 Feb 11.
- Extensive characterization of the composition and functional activities of five preparations of human platelet lysates for dedicated clinical uses. Delila L, Wu Y-W, Nebie O, Widyaningrum R, Chou M-L, Devos D, Burnouf T Platelets, 05 Sep 2020, Accepted 26 Oct 2020, Published online: 27 Nov 2020
- Human platelet lysates for human cell propagation. Barro L, Burnouf P-A, Chou M-L, Nebie O, Wu Y-W, Chen M-S, Radosevic M, Knutson F, Burnouf T Platelets, 26 Aug 2020, Accepted 23 Oct 2020, Published online: 29 Nov 2020
- Nanofiltration of growth media supplemented with human platelet lysates for pathogen-safe xeno-free expansion of mesenchymal stromal cells. Barro L, Nebie O, Chen M-S, Wu YW, Koh MBC, Knutson F., Watanabe N, Takahara M, Burnouf T Cytotherapy 2020; 22:458-472.
- Heat-treated human platelet pellet lysate modulates microglia activation, favors wound healing and promotes neuronal differentiation in vitro. Nebie O, Barro L, Wu YW, Knutson F, Buée L, Devos D, Peng CW, Blum D*, Burnouf T Platelets, 07 Dec 2019, Accepted 13 Feb 2020, Published online: 27 Feb 2020
- Production and quality Requirements of human platelet lysate: A Position Statement from the working party on cellular therapies of the International Society of Blood Transfusion. Schallmoser K, Henschler R, Gabriel C, Koh MBC, Burnouf T Trends in Biotechnology, 2020;38:13-23.
- The neuroprotective activity of heat-treated human platelet lysate biomaterials manufactured from outdated pathogen-reduced (amotosalen/UVA) platelet concentrates. Nebie O, Devos D, Vingtdeux V, Barro L, Devedjian JC, Jonneaux A, Chou ML, Bordet R, Buée L, Knutson F, Blum D, Burnouf T. Journal of Biomedical Science, 2019; 26, 89. doi:10.1186/s12929-019-0579-9
- Virus safety of human platelet lysate for cell therapy and regenerative medicine: moving forward yes, but without forgetting the past. Burnouf T, Barro L, Nebie O, Wu Y-W, Goubran H, Knutson F, Segatchian J.Transfusion and Apheresis Science 2019; 58:102674
- Effect of human platelet lysate on the differentiation ability of human adipose-derived stem cells cultured on ECM-coated surfaces. Gao Y, Ku N-J, Sunb T-C, Higuchi A, Hung C-S, Lee H H-C, Ling Q-D, Cheng N-C, Umezawa A, Barro L, Burnouf T, Ye Q, Chen H. Journal of Materials Chemistry B 2019 Dec 7;45:7110-7119
- Past and Future of Neurotrophic Growth Factors Therapies in ALS: From Single Neurotrophic Growth Factor to Stem Cells and Human Platelet Lysates. Gouel F, Rolland A-S, Devedjian JC, Burnouf T, Devos D. Frontiers in Neurology, August 2019, 10, Article 835. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2019.00835.
- A double virally-inactivated (Intercept-solvent/detergent) human platelet lysate for in vitro expansion of human mesenchymal stromal cells. Barro, L, Su YT, Nebie Oc, Wuc YW, Huang YH, Koh MB, Knutson F, Burnouf T*. Transfusion, 2019; 59:2061-2073.
Manuscript on Definiton of the Problem
Adverse event reporting for cellular therapy products: Current status and future directions. Loper K, et al. Transfusion. 2020. PMID: 33063875
Presentation of the Problem and Ways to Solve
- Essential requirements for setting up a stem cell processing laboratory T Leemhuis, D Padley, C Keever-Taylor, D Niederwieser, T Teshima, F Lanza, C Chabannon, P Szabolcs, A Bazarbachi, MBC Koh, on behalf of the Graft Processing Subcommittee of the Worldwide Network for Blood and Bone Marrow Transplantation (WBMT) Bone Marrow Transplant 49, 1098–1105 (2014).