1.3 A registered person is an individual who is interested in the field of Transfusion Medicine and who wishes to access and receive educational information and other benefits from ISBT by becoming a (prospective) member. All registered persons are asked to pay their membership fee in order to fully benefit from ISBT membership benefits as outlined in the ISBT Membership Agreement and on the ISBT website.
1.4 A member is an individual who has registered an account on the ISBT website and paid the annual membership fee. Members receive all benefits as outlined in the ISBT Membership Agreement and on the ISBT website.
1.5 A congress attendee is an individual who has register as an attendee to ISBT congresses and paid the registration fee. Congress attendees receive a significant discount during the congress registration.
2. Your Privacy
2.1 ISBT complies with EU Regulation 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) and the Dutch data protection laws. ISBT takes all reasonable care to prevent any unauthorised access to your personal information. The personal data that you issue to us is always stored on secure servers and is not accessible to third parties. Notwithstanding clause 2.3, ISBT shall not in any way hand over your personal information to third parties, whether or not for commercial use.
2.2 We process your personal data for various purposes. Specifically, we need to process your personal data to be able to:
• provide you with the products or services you request, e.g. educational services;
• communicate with you about specific matters regarding your Registered User registration or Membership registration, your registration for a meeting or an event, your submission of an abstract or any other service.
• send you information about ISBT activities which ISBT believe may interest you.
2.3 ISBT may forward your information to its subcontractors insofar this is necessary to perform specific services, including ISBT partners who deliver, in close collaboration with ISBT, the actual fulfilment of the services offered by ISBT. These subcontractors and partners are bound by strict confidentiality rules and only perform certain tasks on behalf of and under responsibility of ISBT. In all such cases we conclude data processing agreements with the relevant third parties.
3. Personal Data Processed by ISBT
3.1 Personal data is data that can be directly or indirectly traced back to you as a person, for example your name and address details. Our basic principle is that we never collect and process any more personal data about you than is strictly necessary. The personal data that we process is limited to personal data that is necessary within the framework of the agreement with you or your membership with ISBT. It consists of your contact details or your organisation and its contact persons and the personal data we obtain from you within the framework of our relationship with you.
3.2 In order to become a (prospective) member, ISBT requests you to supply certain information via an online application form. Information marked with an asterisk (*) is mandatory, all other information is optional.
More specifically, to become a member, ISBT requests you to supply (and where needed to update) the following information in the registration form:
Basic contact information and contact details
- Full name
- Email address
- Date of birth
- Institute name and correspondence address
We process this information to:
- Verify you are an existing person eligible for ISBT membership
- Contact you about your ISBT membership benefits and rights
- Calculate your membership fee
- Bank details
We process this information to;
- Process your payments for membership and/or congress registration, hotel bookings, etc.
- Primary specialty
- Social media accounts (optional)
- Reason to join ISBT (optional)
We process this information to;
- Tailor updates and send information of specific interest to your field or line of work.
The aforementioned personal data will also be processed in the event that you enrol for one of our congresses, either as an abstract submitter, as a member or as a non-member.
3.3 Website users
If you use the ISBT website, regardless of whether you are a (prospective) member or not, the following data are processed:
- Details about your activities on the website (e.g. pages visited)
- Your IP address
- Your browser and device type
Please note that these details cannot be traced back to individual persons.
3.4 ISBT may also collect other personal data from you, be it actively supplied by you (e.g., telephone number or assistant’s contact details, content for e.g. Transfusion Today), or other personal data collected by ISBT, e.g. images at Congresses. At our congresses we have notices on display informing you of the presence of our photographers. We use these images for general marketing and communications purposes. If you have a question or remark about the use of these photos, please contact us at [email protected]
4. Special or sensitive personal data
4.1 ISBT does not need to process any special or sensitive personal data to perform its main activities and services. We therefore ask you not to share any such data with ISBT. Moreover, ISBT Membership is available to individuals over 18 years of age, and therefore we do not process personal details of minors, even if they have permission of a parent or guardian.
5. Reasons for processing personal data
5.1 ISBT only processes personal information that is necessary to perform its services to you, as well as information that can help ISBT optimise its performance to all (prospective) members and website visitors.
Reasons for processing personal data by ISBT include:
- For registration and administration purposes
- To assess your application for membership or congress participation, or your submitted abstract
- To draft and perform agreements (sponsoring, partnership, membership)
- To process payments
- To perform analyses for statistical and scientific purposes
- To perform statutory obligations
- To fulfil membership benefits and obligations
5.2 If ISBT decides it would like to process your personal data for other purposes, such as marketing, we will only do so after obtaining explicit consent from you. You can withdraw your consent at any time without providing any motivation via My ISBT on the website.
6. Retention period personal data
6.1 We do not store your personal data longer than is strictly necessary for carrying out the purpose of which it was collected. In any event, we will store the personal data you provided as long as necessary to render our services to you and to process any possible claims. Certain personal data is subject to a statutory retention period. For example, we have a legal duty to retain fiscal data for at least seven years. We keep a copy of any invoices we send to you for this period.
7. Communications you may receive - Newsletters
7.1 If you wish to subscribe to our newsletter(s), we will use your name, country and the email address provided to send the newsletter to you. If you wish to no longer receive these emails you may follow the unsubscribe instructions contained in each of the email communications, you receive or contact us directly at [email protected]
8. Third parties with whom we share personal data
8.1 ISBT may forward your personal data to international third parties. Please note that we will only share your data if this is necessary to perform an obligatory service to you as a member, congress participant, sponsor, exhibitor, or a person otherwise engaged with ISBT. We have signed Data Processing Agreements (DPA) with each of the third parties we work with to make sure the transfer, processing, and storage of your data happens in a secure manner. We have taken all reasonable measures to protect your personal data from unintentional loss or unauthorized access.
8.2 Third parties we share our data with include:
- Go to webinar and Zoom: digital platforms ISBT uses to host educational webinars
- Mailchimp; mailing provider for automated emailing and monitoring
- Pixl8; developer of the CMS of the ISBT website and digital membership database
- Stripe: payment provider used by ISBT
- Google Analytics; for statistical analysis of website traffic
- MCI: professional congress organizer that may send you important information as a congress participant. MCI also manages our congress registration system
- Wiley Inc.; publisher of our journals Vox Sanguinis and the ISBT Science Series. Wiley requires your personal data to send ISBT Members Vox Sanguinis or to access online versions of Vox Sanguinis and the Science Series.
- TMO; printing company responsible for the distribution of Transfusion Today.
- D2L; developer of ISBT Education. D2L needs your email address to create your personal account for access to the ISBT Education portal and send you content updates.
- Uniglobe; travel agency used to book flights for e.g., Board of Directors, invited speakers, and travel fellowship winners.
- SurveyMonkey: used to execute surveys and questionnaires, collect and analyse survey data.
Specifically, of the abovementioned third parties MailChimp, Wiley Inc, Multilearning Inc., and SurveyMonkey are companies located outside of the EU.
Please note your personal data will only be forwarded to third parties in the event relevant for your membership status.
9. Tracking technologies
In particular, ISBT uses Google Analytics in order to perform the aforementioned. In the event you do not wish to be tracked by the Google Analytics Tool, you can use the following link to install a browser extension that prevents this data collection: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
We partner with a third party to manage our advertising on other websites. Our third-party partner may use technologies such as cookies to gather information about your activities on the ISBT website and other websites to provide you advertising based upon your browsing activities and interests.
10. Links to other websites
We post customer testimonials on our website which may contain personally identifiable information. However, we do obtain the person’s consent via email prior posting their name together with their testimonial and picture. If you want your testimonial removed, please contact us directly at [email protected]
12. Rights and complaints
12.1 You may at any time adapt your personal information held by ISBT. You have the statutory right to access, amend, and oppose the use of your personal information. By accessing your My ISBT account you have direct control over the information in your personal profile. You can access and change this information at any time, or alternatively send an e-mail to [email protected]. We may ask you to include a copy of your passport as a proof of identification, but we make sure your passport number, citizen service number and photo have been obscured (redacted). You will receive a response to the request within four weeks.
12.2 ISBT will not send you unsolicited messages (via e-mail or any other means such as social media) and will not contact you on behalf of third parties without your consent. Your personal information will not be passed on to any other individual or organisation other than third party subcontractors and partners mentioned in clause 8.2.
12.3 ISBT uses e-mail as its primary form of communication. Consequently, you cannot opt out of basic membership e-mail communications as we are statutorily obliged to inform you of certain developments e.g., notice of elections. You can review the statutory obligations in the ISBT statutes. If you decide that you do not want to receive certain non-basic e-mail communications from ISBT you can unsubscribe from those email communications. All non-basic mailings sent to you contain the possibility to unsubscribe.
12.4 If you have a problem with the way ISBT processes your personal data or would like to make a formal complaint about the privacy conduct of ISBT you can contact the Data Protection Authority of the Netherlands, the Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens at http://autoriteitpersoonsgegevens.nl/en
13. Security of personal data
13.1 Personal data are personal and should remain personal. We find it just as important as you that your personal data is not made publicly available or is processed unlawfully. We therefore apply all possible (within reason) technical and organisational measures to safely process your personal data.
It may happen that personal data is printed on hard-copies or included in other non-centralised data. ISBT Central Office staff and its third parties has procedures in place to make sure your personal data remains confidential and is not used for any unlawful activities.
16. Your privacy rights
You have certain rights in order to be assured of the protection and privacy of your personal data. These rights are:
• Right of access: You can ask us which personal data we are processing about you and to obtain access to these personal data. We will provide an overview of your personal data and will also provide you with specific information about the processing of your personal data, including but not limited to information re. the purposes of the processing of your personal data, to which recipients or categories of recipients your personal data have been or will be disclosed, the envisaged retention periods that apply to your personal data and if the personal data are not collected from you, any available information as regard to their source.
• Right to rectification: You can request us to modify your personal data in case you believe that your personal data are not up to date, complete or accurate.
• Right to erasure (‘right to be forgotten’): Under certain circumstances, you may ask for erasure of your personal data.
• Right to restriction: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to restrict the processing of (certain) personal data.
• Right to data portability: Under certain circumstances, you can ask us to transmit the personal data that you have provided to us and we still hold about you to you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, e.g. to be able to send it to a third party.
• Right to object: Under certain circumstances, you have the right to object to any processing of personal data that EHA justifies on the legitimate interests legal processing ground. When you object to the processing of your personal data for direct marketing purposes, we will always respect this request.
• Right to withdraw your consent: If the processing of your personal data is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of the processing of your personal data prior to the withdrawal of your consent.
17. Data Protection Officer and Contact details
In compliance with 2016/679 of the European Parliament (General Data Protection Regulation - GDPR), we have appointed a Data Protection Officer (DPO) who is responsible for any privacy and data protection concerns related to ISBT, and who can be reached at [email protected]
The International Society of Blood Transfusion
1016 TB Amsterdam
Phone number: +31(0)20 760 17 60
Chamber of Commerce number: 342 05 247